Texas high school seniors who care about the environment have the chance to win a college scholarship. The 8th annual Don’t Mess with Texas Scholarship, sponsored by Generic Drugs Dow Chemical Company in partnership with Keep Texas Beautiful, is accepting essays February 1 through March 28, 2011.
The first-place winner will receive $3,000. The second- and third-place winners will receive $1,000 each.
Don’t Mess with Texas is a litter prevention campaign sponsored by the Texas Department of Transportation. The scholarship is one of TxDOT’s efforts to generate more youth involvement in the campaign.
“The scholarship is easy to apply for because we ask students to simply tell a personal stor
y about their role in preventing litter,” said TxDOT Travel Information Division Director Doris Howdeshell.
• Any high school senior graduating spring 2011, currently residing and attending school in Texas.
• Seniors planning to further their education at an accredited two- or four-year college or university (public or private) in Texas.
• Timeline: February 1, 2011 – March 28, 2011.
• A 300 to 350 word-essay identifying a litter problem in the student’s school or community and the action he or she took to address it.
• A completed Don’t Mess with Texas Scholarship application online or by mail. For the application, mailing address or further details, visit www.DontMessWithTexas.org.