Despite rules and laws for the manufacture and safety of products and food, sometimes mistakes happen and consumers are put at risk. Safety notices and alerts for items you and your family use are as close as you email box. Here are a few of the most recent ones that have serious implications for consumer safety:
• Shaw Industries Aristocrat II Carpet, only in Pale Clay color, available only at Lowe’s: recalled for flammability standards, posing a fire hazard. Sold in 2013.
• Coby 32-Inch Flat-Screen Televisions: recalled for fire and burn hazards (including smoking, overheating and scorching), sold in 2013 at eight retailers including Best Buy, Fry’s and Sears/KMart. Manufacturer is out of business. Contact store where purchased for more information.
• Exmark Commercial Walk-Behind Mowers: recalled due to injury hazard caused by breaking blade. Sold late 2012 through 2013. Recall includes Toro TimeMaster and Turf- Master lawn mowers.
• SRAM Bicycle Derailleurs: recalled after multiple injuries reported. Pivot pin can jam and interfere with the wheel, causing a fall hazard. Sold September 2012 to November 2013.
• Personal Emergency Reporting System (PERS) Transmitters: Recalled. Device is used to summon assistance. Battery clips can corrode, interfering with operation with no warning.
• Solowave (Tornado) Playground Tube Slides with Port Holes: recalled due to laceration hazard. Multiple injuries reported.
• Trek Madone 2013 Bicycles: recalled for possible front brake failure. These high-end bicycles were sold from July 2012 through December 2013.
Food allergies can cause serious health problems when the allergen is accidentally consumed. Among the undeclared allergens recently found in all manner of food products and posted on the fda.gov website: walnuts, egg, milk, sulfites, wheat, peanuts, hazelnuts and almonds. Use a throwaway email address and sign up for email recall notifications at all the agencies.
• U.S. Food and Drug Administration: www.fda.gov
• Food Safety and Inspection Site: www.fsis.usda.gov
• U.S. Department of Agriculture: www.usda.gov
• Consumer Product Safety Commission: http://www.cpsc.gov/
• Safer Products: www.saferproducts.gov.
Read what product users had to say in multiple categories, such as cribs and strollers, ATVs, appliances, toys, generators and more. Or you can search for categories of interest. The site also links to recall information from other sources.
By David Uffington
© 2013 King Features Synd., Inc.