The Pine Tree ISD Board of Trustees officially called a May school bond referendum after months of discussion and examination of district needs.
Following a comprehensive committee process, several community forums for feedback and discussion, and many hours of open meetings, the Board unanimously approved the bond election which will be held on May 14th.
The bond referendum will total $29,995,000.00 and is structured into one proposition. If approved by voters, the bond election will pay to accomplish improvements in four areas: technology, academic/extracurricular, athletics and maintenance.
A new stadium included in the proposition will be built near existing campuses off Loop 281 near PT Parkway. The Middle School and Intermediate School campuses which are located near Leer Park, were built with funds from the bond election passed by the voters in 2004.
The district’s next step will be to meet with the community and share information about the bond, said Board President Melinda Burns.
PROJECTS BY CATEGORY
• Replace the Technology – Wide Area Network with business class components and a true core switch. This will improve connectivity, safety and better provide each campus with the infrastructure to support a variety of devices such as laptops, iPads, iPod Touches and computers on all campuses. (Estimated cost $505,000.)
• Provide Technology – Local Area Network Upgrades at the High School, Junior High and Intermediate campuses. (Estimated cost $1,015,000.)
Academic / Extra Curricular
• Remodel the classrooms at the high school for the growing Career and Technology classes at the high school which includes Media Technology. (Estimated cost $225,000.)
• Remodel and upgrade the existing home economics classroom to serve the culinary arts program at the high school. (Estimated cost $500,000.)
• Provide HS theatre renovations: lighting, sound, ADA upgrades and interior/foyer upgrades. (Estimated cost $761,000.)
• Provide improved area for drill team and locker rooms at the high school. (Estimated cost $125,700.)
• Build a new Athletic Sports Complex / Stadium – to include: field house, seating for about 6,400, press box, track and field surfaces and concessions, and land acquisition. (Estimated cost $20,045,304.)
• Build a new field house for tennis / softball and girls soccer. (Estimated cost $1,074,000.)
• Add parking spaces near fields for softball, tennis, baseball. (Estimated cost $132,990.)
• Improve Swimming Pool facility ((Estimated cost $150,000.)
• Expand the football practice fields to accommodate 2 additional fields. (Estimated cost $500,000.)
• Resurface existing practice track (Estimated cost $120,000.)
• Replace the HAVC (Air units) on the high school campus. (Estimated cost $1,500,000.)
• Provide the asbestos abatement and renovation of the 600 building at the high school. (Estimated cost $1,535,000.)
Contingency and bond issuing costs are also included in the grand total of 29,995,000.