Tyler ISD received a total of 17 awards for distinguished achievement in school communications. The awards were announced at the Texas School Public Relations Association (TSPRA) Star Awards Celebration on February 24 during the association’s annual conference held this year in Arlington, Texas.
“We are thrilled by the amount of awards we received,” said Jenkins. “I am humbled to be recognized by our professional peers for our hard work in our communication efforts.”
The school district was also visible at the state conference in other ways. Angela Jenkins, Director of Communications for Tyler ISD, was selected to present at the state conference and was also inducted as the Vice President for the East Texas Region for the next two years.
“This conference is a wonderful opportunity to share ideas and bring back ways to improve our department. I am also looking forward to my term as Vice President. It is an honor to work with all the members in our region as well as at the state level,” Jenkins explained.
More than half of the members of this 700-member organization attended this year’s conference. Jenkins presented a session about district and community partnerships and highlighted buying drugs online without prescription the Tyler ISD “Stay in School” campaign where the city of Tyler, the Tyler Area Chamber of Commerce and the school district joined forces to reduce truancy.
Each year, TSPRA Star Awards recognize communicators in school districts, education foundations, education associations and organizations for their outstanding work in both print and electronic media.
Entries that were selected as best in the state were honored with Silver Star, Gold Star, and Best of Category Awards. Also, Crystal Commendations were presented for outstanding entries that featured special programs and events.
Entries were submitted from the following personnel in the Communications/Public Relations Department: Angela Jenkins, Director of Communications/Public Relations; Tonny Williams, Manager of TV Operations; Greg McRae, Production Manager; DeAirra Marchbanks, Production Assistant; and Sandra Stanley, Coordinator of Communications.
The following is a list of awards and recognitions for Tyler ISD based on school district size – Districts with 10,000 to 30,000 students:
Gold Star Awards:
• Programs: Olympians of Teaching 2010 Teacher of the Year Program (Sandra Stanley)
• Video News/Information: Bond Update Clarkston Elementary (Tonny Williams and DeAirra Marchbanks)
• Video Special Interest/Feature: Are You Ready for Some School (Angela Jenkins)
• Video Special Interest/Feature: TISD Spotlight: Therelee Washington (Tonny Williams and DeAirra Marchbanks)
• Video Promotional/Marketing: Gil Hitt Golf Promo (Tonny Williams and Greg McRae)
• Video Promotional/Marketing: Teacher of the Year video (Tonny Williams and Greg McRae)
Silver Star Awards:
• Programs: Celebrating 50 Years of Blessings: Clarkston Elementary (Sandra Stanley)
• Invitations/Announcements: Gifted/Talented Blitz Mailer (Sandra Stanley)
• Invitations/Announcements: We are Opening our Doors…You’re Invited (Sandra Stanley)
• Image/Identity Package: The Ultimate Team (Sandra Stanley and Angela Jenkins)
• Writing: Techucation: Educating our Tech Savvy Students (Angela Jenkins)
• Published News or Feature: Creating Future Possibilities: High School Counselors (Angela Jenkins)
• Published Print Ad: Building a Better Future for Your Children (Sandra Stanley)
• Poster Advertisement: One Passion…One Purpose (Sandra Stanley)
• Video Special Interest/Feature: TISD Spotlight: Ron Vickery (Tonny Williams and DeAirra Marchbanks)
• Video Special Interest/Feature: TISD Black History Profile (Tonny Williams and DeAirra Marchbanks)
Crystal Award Finalist: Keep Students in School Campaign (Angela Jenkins)
State wide competition; no categories of school district size.